11/8/08

Organic Fair Trade Chocolate

You will see that on the Benefit Fiesta poster it says “wine, desserts and chocolates”. Chocolates. Although I am not someone who has a fully developed appreciation of chocolates yet, there are many people in my life who do. And it’s a deep, burning love and appreciation of the stuff. Obsession? I didn’t say that. One might wonder though... Anyway, we decided that we wanted to have a bit of a chocolate theme at the Benefit for others that appreciate chocolate. Fair trade, organic chocolate.

While at Ethical Bean’s Millionth Pound Celebration, we met Tia from La Siembra (Camino Chocolate) who then introduced us to Kristin Shorey who is a local chocolatier. Oh yes, a chocolatier! A professionally trained individual who does magic with chocolate! Kristin is fairly new to Vancouver and she is just about to start her own company here, so this is like her Vancouver “debut”.

Kristin and I arranged to meet at “Bean Around the World” on Main Street a couple of weeks ago. I instantly loved Kristin. She’s got such a great sense of humour and a real warmth to her. We chatted and talked about chocolate possibilities... Last week I got an email from Kristin saying she was ready for us. On Wednesday, Greg and I visited her and were thrilled to see what she has been up to! Kristin had busily been preparing the most amazing chocolates for the Fiesta. And we got to taste them all! There will be boxes of chocolate up for auction as well as some sweet treats for sale. Perfect Holiday treats!

Kristin showing off the "Chocolate Somos Rice Crispies House"

Here’s a little bit from Kristin:
I am a fourth generation Oregon. I fell in love with chocolate and confections when I was a child...it was how my Czech grandmother and i would spend time together. We pulled taffy, made caramels and hard sugar candy and she taught me how to work with chocolate. It has been a part of my life ever since. After years of working in the conservation movement to make the world a better place I decided to follow my love of all things sweet and I apprenticed in a chocolate factory on Portland, Oregon. The hours flew by, I knew I had found my passion. I Went to the Culinary Institute of America to give myself a strong, diverse background in Pastry Arts.

Kristin's Blog


No comments: