11/19/08

"One Love" by Rod Smith

Many thanks to Rod Smith for creating this incredible piece!

From Rod: I have been a Native Artist for the past 18 years or so. From the cultural group Kwakiutl, Family ties in both Rivers Inlet and Campbell River. I was born and raised in Vancouver and currently reside in Qualicum Beach  BC. Married to my beautiful wife Janice in 2002. Brother to Steve Smith and son to the late Harris Smith, who is still my main influence artistically.  My work is very comtemporary and I prefer to create abstract artwork, using traditional design, but put together in a very non-traditonal way. The piece that I created for the auction is an abstract forum carving that  has been washed with jade coloured paint as its base coat then designed and painted in my abstract style. It is mounted on a piece of alder that has been painted black. I love to work with wood,it is my medium of choice. Lately I have been trying to create non traditional sculpture, but still having the feel of Northwest Coast Native Art.   

No comments: