11/11/08

Music of the Spheres by Donna Webb


Music of the Spheres

A collograph, one of several kinds of handpulled prints. Using the term "handpulled" to distinguish original prints from commercially printed "prints". In other words, the artist has actually created the piece.  
  

From Donna: I am a visual artist working with paint, handpulled prints, handmade paper and books, nature boxes, and collage.  My work explores my close affinity with the natural environment and my relationships in my own and other cultures.  International travel to learn about other cultures and to see the major art galleries and museums of the world has been a passion of mine.  Also, after retiring from teaching, I attended Emily Carr Institute of Art and Design, graduating with a degree in Visual Arts in 2002.


The images and symbols that I interweave or juxtapose in my pieces, reflect my fascination with the mysteries that I encounter: the dualities which illuminate the paradoxical nature of things.  They reflect the past and present, the mythical and the natural, the profound and the mundane.  The portal, threshold, or entrance -- ubuquitous symbol for transformation, that bridge between inner and outer space -- is apparent in some of my work, reflecting the inevitability of change; the opportunity to confront and/or embrace the possibilities for growth.


In the past, my concern was primarily with representational imagery, but I have moved into abstraction as it seems to reflect more adequately my own deeply personal and emotional responses to my experiences; to evoke the sense of wonder I often feel when I am in nature.  Thus, my work is a synthesis of memory, experiences and insight, and in this way it is evocative rather than descriptive.

No comments: